Nicola Guess is a Registered Dietitian with a PhD in the dietary management of prediabetes from Imperial College London. She is currently Head of the Nutrition Unit at Dasman Diabetes Institute (DDI) in Kuwait. Nicola is a research fellow at King’s College London where her research focuses on the role of diet in the prevention and management of type 2 diabetes.
Covered in this conversation:
– Type 2 diabetes as a progressive disease
– Declining beta-cell function
– Relationship between insulin resistance and decline in beta-cell function
– Two types of prediabetes: a) elevated fasting BG but normal OGTT, b) normal fasting BG but elevated 2 hour OGTT
– Postprandial glucose excursions
– Can type 2 diabetes be reversed? Remission vs. reversal
– Diabetes Remission Clinical Trial (DiRECT)
– VIRTA health trial
– Nutritional interventions: weight loss, carbohydrate restriction, fasting, etc.
– Weight loss: why does it lead to remission or improvement in biomarkers?
– Best blood markers to monitor?
Nicola has a particular interest in the use of low-carbohydrate diets in the management of type 2 diabetes, and leads a research programme investigating dietary modification – including increasing protein or the use of very-low-calorie-diets – on the factors underlying type 2 diabetes.
Nicola received her Registered Dietitian qualification in the United States which included clinical rotations at the Baylor College of Medicine, and world-famous Weight Management Clinic at the Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas.
Nicola’s expertise in the area of diet and type 2 diabetes is well recognised. She is currently a National Institute of Clinical Excellence (NICE) Guidelines Expert Adviser and was a Diabetes UK Research Fellow. She sits on the Diabetes UK Clinical Guidelines Committee which sets priorities for diabetes research in the UK; is a panel member of the Royal College of General Practitioners Lifestyle Group and was previously a topic expert on the NICE Guidelines Committee for the Prevention of Type 2 Diabetes.
Find Sigma Nutrition Radio on all podcast apps including Spotify.